Monday, November 5, 2007

The Most Important Issue Facing Newburyport

I'm sure you all remember the movie Casablanca.

Rick
: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
[aloud]
Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!


If you were in attendance at the various forums of late, you too might have been struck by the similarity in candidates' responses to questions on the most important issues facing Newburyport. Some candidates' answers (not everyone mind you!) tend to be very vague and non-specific. I'm not sure if it's political caution or "groupthink" but I think the times demand more.

To me, the most important issue facing Newburyport is LEADERSHIP. We need leadership that doesn't put its head in the sand and deny problems, leadership that doesn't pander, leadership that prioritizes its resources, leadership that is inclusive, strategic, and solution-oriented.

We have a lot of opportunities and challenges ahead.

Please vote Tuesday and give your input. For voters from Ward 4, I ask for your consideration.

Thank you,
Ed Cameron

No comments: